Wednesday, December 21, 2016

2006 Restrospective

 Birmingham Botanical Gardens


 Delta Omicron Sleepover


 Delta Omicron Tea


 Suitemates at the Delta Omicron Tea


 Delta Omicron Tea


 Delta Omicron Big Sister Reveal


Sisters in Delta Omicron


 Auburn


 Auburn


 Engaged


 St. Louis


 St. Louis


 First Kindercamp


 Kindercamp


 Kindercamp


 Debutante Party


 Seattle


 Seattle


 Seattle


Luther Dorm


Movies


Auburn



Atlanta Baseball Game


Harp Buying in Chicago


Emily's Debutante Ball


Thanksgiving


Lana and Jeremy's Gift Card Wedding Shower


Graduation Cake for Noah at the Living Christmas Tree


Delta Omicron Mission Project


Christmas Eve


Christmas Day


Lana and Jeremy's Wedding

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Ephraim's Birth Story

On Wednesday March 9, I was 39 weeks and 2 days pregnant and I went in for what would be our last doctor's appointment. After a successful version the week before, we were anxious to see if Ephraim had stayed in the vertex position. I went in and was checked again and the doctor shook his head. I went in for another ultrasound and sure enough Ephraim had flipped again. I was really worried that this would be the end of it and we would be scheduled for a c-section, but the doctor said he was willing to try again. But, we were on a more scrunched time table. The version needed to happen before the weekend and the baby needed to be out before the weekend. The next two weeks coming up were spring breaks for the various school districts and many doctors were going to be off including my own. Also, because I was now in the 39 week range, I was eligible for an induction which I had not been last week, and they did not want me to go through the weekend this far along with a breech baby in case I went into labor naturally, so it was time to get the baby born vertex or not. My doctor was busy and could not find a time in his schedule to schedule the version and induction so he said he would talk to another doctor, the one who had taught him how to do inversions and see if he was available. I went home and waited for  phone call with the plan. They called back and a new doctor was available, a female doctor. We scheduled a version for the next day on Thursday March 10th. The plan was to attempt the version again, and if it was successful, induce, and if it was not to go ahead and perform the c-section. Either way the baby would be born.

I fasted beginning at 10:00 on Wednesday and woke up to get to the hospital at 6:00am on Thursday March 10th. We were taken back to the triage room where we got ready. The nurses prepared everything and then we waited. The nurses switched shifts and we waited. We waited until after 8:00am to finally see the doctor. The doctor came in and introduced herself to us, there was some more waiting and prep work but then it was time to attempt the version. The nurses gave me the shot to make my heart go faster this time instead of putting it in my IV. I felt its effects more this time but not very severely. They laid me down and prepared the ultrasound. Low and behold, Ephraim had flipped AGAIN, but this time he flipped vertex. No version needed. The doctor apologized for giving me the shot before she performed the ultrasound because it wasn't needed. They got me ready and wheeled my bed down the hall to a labor and delivery room.

The doctor came in and broke my water. They wanted my water broken because with less water there was less ability for Ephraim to flip around some more and less likely he would flip back breech. Unlike the last two inductions I had, the water breaking was just tiny. The nurse started me on pitocin and the waiting game began.

We waited a long, long time. Things seemed to be progressing slower than they had the last two times. I was feeling some contractions but it wasn't very bad. We watched the morning television junket. I watched the 11:00 hour, the hour that all three of my other boys were born in come and go, and still no Ephraim.

We talked to Patti on the phone, Emily came and visited but had to go back to Birmingham to teach a class, Mrs. McQueen came and visited. Noah was working on school work on his ipad. He had to take the next two days off before interim but he still had projects to grade and work on.

I got the epidural, but he turned it on very high. I lost all feeling in both legs. Normally I would just lose feeling in one leg, but this time I lost it in both completely. I could not move at all. The nurse turned up the pitocin and then my water for really really broke. I was having to constantly change out towels because of the amount of water filling them up.

Around 2:00 the nurse came in to lay me on my side to encourage the contractions. It was so hard for me to move, she decided to call back the anetheseologist to turn down the epidural. He came in and turned it off, but said he would come back to adjust it.

When the nurse tried to turn me to the other side because she didn't like how the baby was reacting to being on my left side, she went ahead and checked me. It was time.

No need for the aneteseologist to come back, it was time for baby. Everything went super quickly from then on. The doctor came in and Ephraim was struggling in the birth canal. His heart rate wasn't doing very well. The nurse called in for another nurse to help but the other nurse never made it in time. It only took about two pushes, but Ephraim came. They took him to the warmer but his breathing wasn't great.

He was breathing way too fast. The baby nurse considered taking him to the nursery, but she decided to put him down for some skin to skin time first to see if that would level off his breathing. Before Mrs. McQueen and mom could come back, we had about thirty minutes of just quiet skin to skin time to settle out his breathing.

Mom, Mrs. McQueen and Isaac came to the delivery room to meet Ephraim. We had some more time down there. They all left and we were put in the wheel chair which was extremely difficult to do since I was still so numb from the epidural and we went upstairs to our well baby room.

The hospital stay was the easiest one I ever had. I was in little to no pain at all and had no problems at all.

Friday, March 4, 2016

March Update

On November 16, 2015 at 23 weeks I had my last appointment with the doctor who has helped us since the very beginning and delivered all three of our boys. At this appointment, he gave me some recommendations for doctors with a similar disposition and I chose to begin seeing the doctor who I had seen with the twins at 37 and 38 weeks. 

All the appointments from there on out with the new doctor were very short and easy. Everything was going perfectly. Good blood pressure, heart rate, and belly measured right on schedule, not ahead. 

On February 22, 2016 at 37 weeks, I began our weekly doctors appointments. At this appointment, I was checked for the first time, and the doctor could not feel the baby's head. He sent me to ultrasound to see what was up. I had our first ultrasound since 19 weeks, and she confirmed that baby's head was up by my ribs. She went ahead and measured his size and my fluid levels. Baby was a good size and fluid was good. I went back to the waiting area and the nurse came and told me that there was still a good chance the baby could flip on his own because of his size and fluid levels and that they would check again next week. If he had not flipped by next week, we could talk about the doctor flipping him. So I set up my next appointment.

That week, we tried putting an ice pack on the top of my tummy to see if he would move away from the cold, or putting a heating pad on the bottom of my tummy to see if he would move toward the warmth. I picked up kid toys on all fours to give him more room to move around. I broke the ironing board by propping it up against the mattress and lying upside down on it.

On March 2nd at 38 weeks and two days, I went back to the doctor's office. I went straight to ultrasound and she confirmed that baby had not shifted. When I met with the doctor he offered to perform a version and I accepted. With a breach baby, it is an automatic c-section. He said we were great candidates for the version, my belly was measuring at 37 weeks, a week behind, so baby was not too big, my fluid levels were good, blood pressure, baby, everything looked good. I had also had two previous deliveries (one with twins!) so it would be a shame to have gone through that and then end up with a c-section this time. I agreed, and we set up an appointment at Huntsville Hospital Women and Children on the delivery floor for Friday March 4th. 

On Friday, March 4th, Noah took a sick day off from school because we did not know what exactly to expect. I knew they were going to hook me up to an IV and give me a drug to relax my uterus that would speed up my heart rate and I wasn't sure how that would affect my driving. We also knew that this increased our risk of going into labor (which is why they only perform it for term babies) or having an emergency c-section if something were to not go right. We dropped the kids off at mother's morning out and arrive at the hospital at 8:15 for our 8:30 appointment.

After a little confusion at the first desk, first with our procedure (we called it an ECV which confused them, they just called it a version) and then with my last name (your license doesn't have a hyphen but my social security card does, because those license people were all like 'we don't do characters') but we got signed in and we sat down to wait to be called back.

The nurse called us back and we went to a triage room on the labor and delivery floor. Just like labor and delivery, I had to put on the gown and lie down in bed and they put on a heart monitor for the baby and a contraction monitor. We then played the 1000 question game for the charts. Baby's heart rate was good and I was having periodic mild contractions, definitely not labor. The doctor came in, explained some more about what would happen and he used the ultrasound to confirm that the baby was still indeed breach. The position of the baby would also determine which way he would attempt to turn him. Our baby was not even halfway turned, he was straight up and down. The nurses prepared to give me the IV.

I didn't have explicit instructions going into the procedure, but just earlier that week, Corder had had one of his ultrasounds, and they always ask for him to fast before his ultrasound, so I decided better safe than sorry and I had not had anything to eat or drink since the night before. Apparently, I was a little dehydrated. The nurses had a hard time finding a vein. They stuck me on my left wrist, and were able to get the blood they needed for possible lab work, but they said a valve was blocking it, and it wouldn't work for the IV. They then stuck me a little farther up on my left arm, but that ended up not working either. Then they went to my right arm in the crook of my elbow and they put the IV in. Pretty much immediately afterward, I knew something was different, because I have had an IV before, but I dismissed my thoughts. My arm felt like it was being inflated like a water balloon. It hurt a whole, whole lot, but I figured it was supposed to be that way, so I didn't say anything. 

The doctor came in with a medical student, because he said, versions were not an everyday occurence and not all doctors perform them or some doctors will ask another doctor who does feel more comfortable or trained to do them. 

The nurses put the drug that relaxes the uterus into the IV, but I didn't really feel any differently. I laid down all the way. The doctor used to ultrasound machine again to confirm the exact position of the baby. After being covered with gel, the doctor used his hands to lift up on the baby and turn him completely around. He had warned me that it would hurt and feel very uncomfortable and to just breathe and relax. The better I could relax, the better the result would be. It honestly wasn't nearly as bad as I feared. It was incredibly weird. There was a lot of pressure and it was hard to feel exactly what was happening, and I also couldn't see it all. Honestly my arm with the IV was hurting worse than the version was. I closed my eyes and just emptied my mind as much as I could. It didn't take very long and then it was over. He used the ultrasound machine to confirm that baby was indeed now head down. Everything went perfectly! Noah was glad he was there, because it was a pretty unique thing to witness. 

The doctor and the medical student left. The nurses hooked me back up to the baby heart rate monitor and the contraction monitor. They needed to monitor the baby's heart rate for one hour uninterrupted before I would be allowed to go. If the baby jumped off the monitor, we would have to start over again.

So we waited and waited. Everything was going perfectly. No problem with heart rate at all. 

At the end of the hour, the nurses came back in, to take the monitors off and the IV out, so I could get dressed. Then she noticed my arm and how swollen it was. She went to go get the other nurse. The other nurse came in, and it turned out that the fluid was filling up my tissue and not just my vein. I wasn't going to get to go home yet. They checked my lungs and then wrapped my arm up in a warm towel and I had to put it over my head to help with the swelling. After about another thirty minutes and another check, the swelling was starting to go down and they said I could go home.

I got dressed with one hand since I really couldn't bend my right arm because it was so swollen and we got our discharge papers and went home. 

My arm is doing much better now, though it's not completely back to normal, but mostly, I can at least touch my nose now!


Video of an ECV in Britain
This is the video I watched before the procedure. Pretty incredible. 

Of course there is still a chance the baby could flip again or something could go wrong in delivery and I will still end up with a c-section. I am glad we have given ourselves this chance though because breach means 100% c-section. My next appointment in Wednesday at 39 weeks two days.