Friday, May 30, 2014

May Update No. 2

On May 28th we had a doctor's appointment at 33w2days. Baby A had a heart rate of 137 and Baby B had a heart rate of 149. Both babies looked good. Everything they measured for me also looked good. We will return next week at 34w1d.

We took Isaac with us to this appointment to see the babies. We've been talking to him a lot about Carleton and Corder. We tell him that they live in Mama's tummy and that we will go to the hospital to meet them. He is able to identify all the baby things in the house that will belong to Carleton and Corder. I do not think he really gets it though. We're trying to make him a part of the process as much as possible though. When watching the ultrasound he seemed more concerned about the gel on my belly than the images on the screen. In his defense though, those images barely look like anything anymore. Up until about a month and half ago, I could look at the ultrasound screen and see what looked like a baby; head, body, and limbs. Now all I see are shapes, they are too big to be captured in an image and it is much harder to interpret. When the doctor came in, Isaac was pretty good, but when Noah asked some questions, Isaac freaked out and started squirming and whining. We cut the visit short, though there was nothing to say. Everything is in good order.

School finished last week. We are officially home for the summer and I am officially done as a teacher indefinitely. I am not sure how many more paychecks I will receive, but we are trying to savor these last ones to make sure we have enough put away for the upcoming medical bills. We have been working around the house with the help of my sister. We're getting pretty close. The nursery is getting close to being ready. Noah figured out how to fit the car seats in the stroller. I have a wedding on Saturday and after that, we can dedicate the car to the babies. We'll need to get it all cleaned out and vacuumed and take all the car seats to the hospital to get them installed. I need to get a checklist going. I had a checklist for Isaac and I need another one this time. I have to get hospital bags ready and diaper bags ready, and think about any sort of toiletry items the twins will need. I am really much less prepared this time around. I think I've almost been maybe in some sort of denial, just so stressed about avoiding preterm labor, completing the school year, and Isaac, that I haven't had time to really prepare.  

My school room is completely cleared out and I finished up filing all the music away. It's been tough trying to find a space for everything out of the second bedroom and my school room but somehow I think we've found a place for everything. Living in a small house with no closet space forces you to be very creative. I am thankful for they money and time we invested into the house last summer. Those extra purchases and touches have really come in handy in preparation for our growing family .

We are not taking any sort of childbirth classes this time around. Really, I don't know what to expect at all. The doctor said he doesn't think I'll make it to 38 weeks but we have no idea when I will deliver. I have no idea what to think; I'll just follow whatever recommendation I am given depending on how the babies are positioned and doing. I am trying not to stress over it or feel as if I am under prepared because even if I wrote out the most detailed birth plan, things can change at the last second and it could all be for naught. Ultimately we will follow the guidance of the doctor, so we'll just wait and see. 


No comments: