"Are you able to stay in community with a church where you have major differences? Would you stay or would you go? Would you attend a complementarian church while you are an egalitarian?"
"In a Christian marriage, Christ is meant to be the head of our homes, and within marriage, we are meant to submit to one another - even as Candace Cameron Bure rightly defines it, “so, it is meekness, it is not weakness. It is strength under control, it is bridled strength.”
Yes, yes, it is. For both men and women."
"I’m not interested in hashing out arguments that have stalemated. I am, however, interested in offering my voice to the conversation that says wifely submission has something to do with advancing the kingdom of God. At best, this is a poorly articulated understanding of God’s dream for us. At worst, it’s a tool used in a battle for control and satisfaction that often leads to abuse."
"Sexual complementarity is not only incorrect; it is also dangerous. In today’s society, where speeches have an indeterminate shelf life, overly authoritative words can carry damaging consequences. This teaching too easily leads to spousal abuse. The logic goes like this: “Pastor David says that I am the authority in the home and so you will do what I want and if not, there will be consequences.” And Platt never mentioned anything about consequences for non-compliance."
"Well, here’s the thing: I’m egalitarian, and I believe there are differences between men and women too. Some are (clearly) biological, others are (possibly) biological, and still others are socially conditioned. What makes me egalitarian is the fact that I do not believe those differences to be universal, prescriptive, or indicative of hierarchy. "
"The question at the bottom of it all is this: Does patriarchy—(man's rule over woman)—represent God’s ideal for the world, or is it a result of sin? The struggle is not between complementarianism and egalitarianism, or between traditional and non-traditional roles, but between patriarchy and equality."
In response, I believe it is time for Christians to rethink feminism. How do we address secular feminist concerns? What will we do to create hospitality to feminists in churches? Whether or not we call ourselves Christian feminists, God calls us to be lights in a crooked, messed up world (Philippians 2:15). Opportunities for responding to feminist concerns are great; hopefully the workers won’t be few.
I became a feminist not by reading Betty Friedan and Gloria Steinem but by reading the Apostle Paul, who offered the magna carta of Christian freedom: “… there is no longer male nor female; for all of you are one in Christ Jesus” (Galatians 3:28). He did not mean, obviously, that we cease to be gendered humans; rather, he meant that religious privilege in patriarchal structures was coming to an end.
The Day I Thought An Egg Ruined My Life
"It’s a lie of Patriarchy that says the most spent, silent woman wins."
When a Jesus Feminist Comes Home to A Jesus Feminist
“If a woman is held back, minimized, pushed down, or downplayed, she is not walking in the fullness God intended for her as his image bearer, as he ezar warrior. If we minimize our gifts, hush our voice, and stay small in a misguided attempt to fit a weak and culturally conditioned standard of femininity, we cannot give our brothers the partner they require in God’s mission for the world.”
The Day I Thought An Egg Ruined My Life
"It’s a lie of Patriarchy that says the most spent, silent woman wins."
When a Jesus Feminist Comes Home to A Jesus Feminist
“If a woman is held back, minimized, pushed down, or downplayed, she is not walking in the fullness God intended for her as his image bearer, as he ezar warrior. If we minimize our gifts, hush our voice, and stay small in a misguided attempt to fit a weak and culturally conditioned standard of femininity, we cannot give our brothers the partner they require in God’s mission for the world.”
No comments:
Post a Comment