This past school year I had the wonderful opportunity of getting to work with over two hundred fantastic kids at the elementary campus of Westminster Christian Academy. I taught kindergarten, first, second, and fourth grade music in addition to teaching first, second, third, fourth, and fifth grade library, and kindergarten, second, and third grade computer. I cannot deny that it was quite a challenge, probably my biggest challenge ever, but I feel deeply blessed and strengthened by the experience. Each of my music classes met twice a week and fourth grade met three times a week! We were able to do so much together, including memorizing the first verse to a different hymn every month and sing some classic children's worship and Bible songs. We were also able to dig deep into our music literacy learning and we worked hard on learning the different rhythmic and melodic elements outlined in the Kodaly method. Though, admittedly, there were times when I didn't think I would survive, I think it is a fair statement to say that I not only survived but also thrived.
Sometimes we are presented with opportunities, very good opportunities, and this past year will be my first and last year to teach at Westminster Christian Academy. Starting in August I will return to my own Alma mater, Randolph School. I will be teaching music and choir in the middle school division. I am very excited about this next chapter in my career and have already started my research and to do lists in summer preparation.
Knowing that I was leaving Westminster, the last hymn and worship song I taught the students were selfishly my own very favorites. Their May hymn of the month was My Shepherd Will Supply My Need by Isaac Watts (the name of this blog is taken from the third verse of that hymn). Their worship song of the month in May was a song that has always been very dear to me. When I was little my family attended First Baptist Scottsboro and even after we moved to Huntsville we would still return occasionally and worship at First Baptist Scottsboro with my grandmother, aunt, and uncle. They ended every service with a sung benediction; the chorus from a small anthem called May the Lord Bless You. I have remembered this chorus from all my many times of worshiping with my family and extended family and it has always had a very special place in my heart. We even used this chorus as a congregational sung benediction at Noah's and my wedding. My students at Westminster too learned this chorus and we sang it in our music classes and in our chapel services. On the last day of school, a second grade class gave me goodbye cards that they each had made. I was overwhelmed when I read them later that night at home and saw that many of them had included the words to this benediction in their cards. It was deeply touching and I say to everyone at Westminster:
May the Lord bless you,
May the Lord keep you,
May the Lord lift up His face to shine on you.
1 comment:
...and give you peace. :)
Post a Comment