Thursday, September 29, 2011

September Update No. 2

At the beginning of September Noah and I successfully transferred all our insurance policies to one policy that will cover all three of us!! We were able to cancel our old policies and were reassured on all ends that there would be no problem in our coverage or preexisting conditions or anything. Since we got that taken care of, it was time to register for our baby classes! Registering for the classes was a little more difficult than I expected because you had to pay when you registered but you cannot register on the internet, you have to speak to someone in person. I played phone tag with Huntsville Hospital for almost a week and then just went in person and was able to get everything straightened out. We had to register for the weekend classes because we can't go on Monday nights because of children's chorale, we can't go on Tuesday nights because of the Sewanee Symphony, and we can't go on Wednesday nights because of church activities but I found dates that worked for us and the classes weren't filled yet! We will be taking prepared childbirth for two six hour Saturdays, Parenting class for five hours on a Saturday and Sunday, and Breastfeeding for a few hours on a Monday (since it was a one time only thing, I will just miss children's chorale that night since I didn't see an available weekend date).

On Saturday September 24th Noah and I went to our first prepared childbirth class. Our class was mostly just lecture based. We didn't have to get on the mats and practice breathing and relaxation techniques (we'll do that this coming Saturday). She had several power point presentations prepared and she talked us through these. Most of the information she presented, I had already read in either books or on the internet but it was good to hear it all again. We also watched a video tape of two actual births, which was honestly the first time I had ever seen an actual birth, and surprisingly, it wasn't as gross as I had expected. Our class is small and everyone is due in either October or November (except one couple who is due in January) so we don't feel bad for putting off the class. We'll go back for another six hour class this coming Saturday and we'll get a tour or the hospital and we'll be able to preregister for the hospital so come baby time we'll be ready and won't have to fill out the paper work then. I know I over think everything but I'm already concerned about knowing when exactly you're supposed to go to the hospital. Our teacher told us 5-1-1. You go to the hospital when you have experienced one minute long contractions five minutes apart for one hour. I just hope I will be able to identify consistent contractions (counting baby movements already makes me nervous I always question myself: was that a movement? does that count as one movement or two? do hiccups count as a movement?).

On September 27th we had a doctor's appointment. I knew this time not to expect anything. I had my lab work done and the doctor measured my belly. Isaac's heart beat was 140 beats per minute. Nothing new. We are NOW going to start on the every two week schedule. My next appointment is on October 10th and I will be 34 and a half weeks pregnant and it will be with still yet another new doctor. I'm starting to get anxious though to know how he's doing in there. Is he starting to move to the head down position? Approximately how big is he? Are we making progress toward labor? I hope the doctor will start obtaining some of this information soon. I think he has pretty good fetal movement. When I lie down or sit still, it seems like he moves around so much! I can just sit there and actually watch it. He also moves around a lot during rehearsals or concerts, so maybe he can hear the music!

Fall break is next week and October starts on Saturday so it is time to kick things into high gear. About two weeks ago I went on a major cleaning spree but the house has since fallen back into remiss. We will use our fall break to give our house the biggest cleaning EVER. We'll need to get the nursery into shape and of course I'll prepare for my substitute at school by writing out very detailed lesson plans for all of my classes for the rest of the semester. I also need to start practicing now for all my Christmas gigs because November will be so crazy. My last pre baby gig will be on October 13th and I'll be exactly 35 weeks pregnant and then we will put the harp in the house for good and dedicate our Escape to purely baby transportation mode. We're going to take it to get professionally cleaned. We have our to-do list and I'm ready to get started.

No comments: