Saturday, July 28, 2012

Music Products We Have Loved

I Know This List Will Be A Work In Progress.....

Singing with Isaac!

Before Isaac was born, Noah and I went through this book and put tab post-it notes on 31 different lullabies in both Spanish and English (and one in French) that we chose to be 'Isaac's lullabies'. Most nights before we fell asleep while I was still pregnant, we would sing through all 31 of them. We haven't sung through them all in a set since he was born, but these are or go-to lullabies and all that practice we did before he was born has paid off in our hopes to learn these songs ourselves.

The Book of Lullabies Compiled by John M. Feierabend


Another John M. Feierabend book we have used religiously (literally) is the Book of Church Songs and Spirituals. I used this book when I taught music at Westminster Christian Academy, and still use it for Kindercamp and Kinderchoir at First Baptist Church in Huntsville, and with Isaac everyday. These are the songs I grew up singing, my Mom grew up singing, and we want to pass on to the next generation.

The Book of Church Songs and Spirituals by John M. Feierabend and Madeline Bridges



I've been compiling fun, folk songs from many, many resources for several years now that I've used in classroom settings, camp settings, and church settings. We sing these songs everyday with Isaac, in the car, during meal times, while we're playing or cuddling, when changing his diaper, or getting him dressed. Here are just some links to a few good books filled with songs.

150 Folk Songs to Sing, Read, and Play


First Steps in Music for Preschool and Beyond



Sing Together Children




Listening with Isaac!


One of the best gifts we received shortly after Isaac was born was a Baby Einstein turtle that lit up and and played music. I was little overwhelmed when we first brought Isaac home because I had no idea how to get him to interact with his surroundings, but one of the first things I could get him to watch and focus on was this turtle. In later months, he learned to press the buttons and play with the turtle himself.

Baby Einstein Baby Neptune Ocean Orchestra Musical Toy


Isaac loved the turtle so much, we bought him what we have affectionately called his ipod because we felt it was a more portable version of the turtle. When he gets into a crying fit in the car, this is one of the fail-safe ways to calm him down.

Baby Einstein Take Along Tunes


We need to do a better job of listening to children's music on long car rides. Though we haven't done a whole lot of listening, I love the style and voice of Jill Trinka who sings only with an auto harp, dulcimer, or guitar accompaniment. This c.d. is full of children's folk music.

There's a Hole in My Bucket



I wish, wish, wish, there was a c.d. of The Book of Church Songs and Spirituals...but there isn't. I found this c.d. at Wal-Mart and we bought it for Isaac. This is the c.d. we have in his c.d. player in his room that we play for him while he's playing, getting dressed, or going to sleep. There are probably better c.d.s out there and I'll be sure to look out for them when browsing at the Christian Book Store.

Little People Sunday School Sing-Along


Playing with Isaac!


Making noise and experimenting with sound is very fun for our 8 month old Isaac. He especially loves drums. Though anything has the potential to be a drum to an 8 month old, playing with real drums is a real treat! This is the drum that Isaac can play because his Marmee has a great selection of drums as an elementary music teacher. Though it's really expensive, there are great smaller and less expensive drums I know he would enjoy too!

Remo Kid's Percussion Rain Forest Gathering Drum



Isaac has really enjoyed shakers as well! Sometimes they are more fun to chew on than actually shake but he definitely has fun!

Gymboree Shape Shakers



Kindermusik Animal Shakers


Isaac's Marmee has a real baby grand piano which is a lot of fun to play! But when we're at home and there is no baby grand, we play our Little Tike's Tap-A-Tune. Isaac's Tap-A-Tune is the old, old version, and not the one they sell in stores today.

Little Tike's Tap-A-Tune Piano (Vintage Version)






I know I'll be adding, and adding to this list in the many months and years to come!

No comments: