Because of our previous fertility difficulties, we were always open and welcome to the possibility of a second child. It certainly was not a major concern though as we traveled through that first year with Isaac. At the end of February, I set up an appointment on March 14th for an annual visit with my doctor with hopes of talking about pursuing fertility treatments once again.
On March 3rd, something felt different. I took a pregnancy test and the ever so slightest of a second pink line appeared. It was very unexpected. We were very excited. On March 4th, I retook the test and the line did appear to be just the ever so slightest bit darker. I called the doctor's office and I went in for some blood work. The next day I learned my HCG was very low at a 35 but my progesterone was fantastic at a 20. They scheduled more blood work for the next Monday.
On Sunday March 10th, before I picked up Isaac from worship care I noticed just the ever so slightest amount of spotting. It was just the one time, I did not see it again.
On Monday March 11th, I went back in for blood work. My HCG had risen to 350. They told me this was an appropriate rise. They also told me that the spotting was nothing to be concerned about. They cancelled my appointment for Thursday March 14th and rescheduled it for Monday March 18th.
On Thursday March 14 I noticed more spotting. I spotted all day on Thursday and the spotting continued into Friday. On Friday March 15th the spotting grew into very light bleeding. The light bleeding continued in Saturday March 16th. The light bleeding continued into Sunday March 17th and grew into moderate bleeding accompanied by an almost constant lower abdominal ache.
On Sunday March 17th, Noah and I went to the emergency room. During our five and half hour stay at the emergency room, they took another blood test. My HCG was in the 600s. They gave me an IV of fluids to see if that would help with the abdominal pain. We also had an ultrasound. We were 5 weeks and 5 days pregnant. On the ultrasound they found a sac in the uterus but did not see anything inside the sac, no yolk sac, no baby, and no cardiac movement.
We were discharged from the hospital with the diagnosis of a threatened miscarriage and blighted ovum. We were told to call the doctor's office and set up another ultrasound in a week because it was still possible that we were still too early to see anything on the ultrasound.
On Monday March 18th I called the doctor's office and relayed the news from the hospital. They still wanted me to come in that day. We had another ultrasound at the doctor's office on March 18th. They still did not see anything.
The doctor said it was still too early to tell. The cervix was still closed and I took another blood test.
On Tuesday March 19th the doctor's office called. My HCG levels had dropped below 300 which meant it was a miscarriage. I will continue to have blood tests every week until my HCG drops below a 5.
*****Update*****
On March 25th I had another doctor's appointment. The doctor said this was very common and nothing indicated anything to worry about especially since we have already had a very successful pregnancy. He said to wait two to three cycles before trying for a baby again to let the lining of the uterus build back up. I asked how many cycles of trying we should wait before we came back in for fertility testing/treatments and he said four because of our previous history. They took a blood test and my HCG level was a twenty.
On April 9th, I went in for my last blood test. My HCG level had dropped below five.
Now we will wait and pray and be thankful for our many blessings.
1 comment:
I'm so sorry Katie! Thanks for sharing through your blog - I enjoy reading it because it makes me feel more "normal" as we've been going through fertility issues for almost 3 years now. It's crazy how common it all is, but how alone in the journey you can feel. I'll be praying for you, for quick physical recovery and for more children!
Post a Comment