My grandfather George Jones, passed away when I was in first grade, my mother was 32. Both of my father's parents passed away in the next two years when I was in second and third grade. My Nana passed away in 2001 when I was in the eleventh grade. My father was orphaned at age 37 and my mother at age 42. These statistics have shaped my view on life more than anything else ever.
At the age of 28, I grow ever closer to the ages my parents were when they were left. It frightens me more than I can bear. My parents are my closest friends, my mentors and guides. They lead me and provide a safe place to turn when things are hard. I seek their advice on the most trivial tax issues, listen to their thoughts on complex social and theological issues, and set out to follow their example in both work and church. Through dinners, phone calls, house visits, church services, we share our lives together. Though I am a self-sufficient adult with my own home, salaried career, and husband and child, I need them.
This viewpoint is why my infertility hit me so hard. I understand how precious time is. My earnest and deepest prayer is that Isaac will have his grandparents at his graduation, his wedding, and yes, even the birth of his own children. No matter how tough work gets, or how frustrating church can be, or how annoying not being able to lose weight may be; these are the best of times.
I will work to treasure the blessings the Lord has given us. Though money may be tight I am thankful we have each other. Though we might mess up and make mistakes, I am thankful we are together. Though we might not get what we desire or even deserve, I am thankful for our time. It's too easy to take our blessings for granted and to lose sight of what really matters. I am thankful, I am thankful, I am thankful.
No comments:
Post a Comment