Monday, July 29, 2013

Our Story Year Four: 2011


When 2011 began, Noah and I had been married for three and a half years and we were living in our wonderful rented house in Huntsville, AL. Noah was working as a part-time Spanish teacher at Randolph and I was working as a music/librarian/computer teacher at Westminster Christian Academy.


In January of 2011, we had been trying for a baby for 32 months and we were waiting for the next doctor’s appointment. We began our second semester as teachers. Life was crazy as a big snowstorm came and canceled school for an entire week. The next week was my long awaited doctor’s appointment.

On January 18th I went back to the doctor to discuss our options. That day, I was given the option of beginning to see a fertility specialist or continuing with clomid and begin trying IUIs. I decided to stay with my doctor and we scheduled our first IUI.


On January 27th, I went to the doctor's office for an ultrasound where a technician measured my follicle growth. I had two follicles that were measuring over a 2.0 which was what they wanted, so I was sent to the drugstore to pick up the shot of HCG and bring it back to them to administer. 

On January 28th, Noah and I both went back to the doctor's office for our first IUI. 


On February 3rd, I felt very ill and was running a fever. I went to my general practitioner and was diagnosed wit the flu.


On February 10, still suffering from the flu, we found out that the IUI did not work.


On February 12, I began my 7th round of clomid.


On February 21st, I went to the doctor's office for an ultrasound and the technician measured my follicles. This time one follicle measured at 1.8 and the other measured 1.6, so I was sent back home and told to come back the next day.


On February 22nd,  I went to the doctor's office where they administered my HCG shot without repeating the ultrasound.


On February 23rd, Noah and I returned to the doctor's office for our second IUI.


On March 10th, I took a pregnancy test and the every so slightest second pink line appeared. I took a digital pregnancy test, and this too showed positive. I called the doctor's office and went it for an appointment. I took a pregnancy test there and the test was positive. I was sent to the lab for some blood work. My Progesterone was fantastic at 46 and my HCG was low but 196. We scheduled another blood test.


On March 14th, I had another blood test. This time my progesterone stayed high at a 46 and my HCG rose to 1014. We scheduled my first Obstetrics appointment.

On March 22, I had our first Obstetrics appointment. Everything went perfectly. The baby measured at 6 weeks and 1 day but they kept our due date for November 17, 2011 which meant the gestational age of the baby was actually 5 weeks and 5 days. They were able to seek cardiac activity on the ultrasound. I went to the lab and had a full obstetrics blood work done and we scheduled our next appointment.

That spring we were incredibly busy. Noah had two out of town conferences he attended in both Birmingham and Baton Rouge. We traveled almost every Tuesday to Sewanee for symphony rehearsals and I had many other gigs as well. The extra money was great, because it helped us pay for the IUI procedures, buy a new China cabinet so we could finally get all our wedding china out of storage, and begin purchases for our new baby.

On April 5th, Noah and I went to the doctor and had another ultrasound. This time we were able to hear the baby's heartbeat. The baby's heart beat was measuring at 168 beats per minute. Everything was going very well.

In April, we made our first yard sale purchases for the baby: a bassinet, a bouncer seat, and a small swing. I also interviewed for a new job in April.

On April 27th the worst rash of tornadoes swept through Alabama. At Westminster, we had a pretty scary incident in the morning where something went up above us. Trying to get home was very hard because of all the downed trees and power lines. Nothing happened in Huntsville though. Later that night, a tornado hit the Huntsville power plant and we all lost power for over a week. They cancelled Panoply and the imposed a sun down curfew for all residents. I was still working at the Sewanee Symphony in Tennessee so Noah and I traveled up there for a rehearsal and then stayed overnight in a hotel for the concert the next day. It was nice to have a hot shower and a warm meal. We came back down to Huntsville after the concert, and the next day, with my parents, we all went to Birmingham.

On May 3rd we had another doctor's appointment but did not have an ultrasound because they were able to hear the baby's heartbeat from the outside. After this appointment they put us on a regular schedule of every four weeks for appointments.

On May 31st we had another doctor's appointment. The baby's heart rate was 148 beats per minute.

In May, I found out that I had gotten the job at Randolph and I made the huge, huge decision to leave Westminster. It was the hardest decision I have ever made. Randolph was much closer to our house so I wouldn't be making that long drive everyday, the Randolph position was part-time and I have always known I did not want to put my babies in day care if at all possible, and Noah and Mom worked there. 

On July 6th, we had our big appointment. The baby was 20 weeks and 6 days. We had our big ultrasound. Everything looked great. We found out the baby was a boy and we named him David Isaac Hoppe-McQueen. Both of our father's are named David and we will call him Isaac because we prayed for a son like Abraham and Sarah.m

That summer because of our changing job situations, we worked many camps to pay the bills. Noah and I both worked at the Samford Younger Kids Theater camp, Noah worked at the Samford Older Kids Theater camp, I worked at the Dawson Memorial Baptist music camp, and the First Baptist Church music camp. It worked, our rent was paid and we were set to begin the new school year.

On August 3rd we had a doctor's appointment. Isaac's heart was beating at 142 beats per minute.

That August, life changed for us as well. Noah became a full time Spanish teacher at Randolph and I left Westminster to work as a part time music and choir teacher at Randolph. I was happy to be at the same school as Noah and Mom and to have a part time job in preparation for life with Isaac. Transitioning into Randolph was not difficult.

On August 24th, I had my gestational diabetes test, which I passed.

On August 30th, I had a doctor's appointment. Isaac heart beat was 140 beats per minute.

In September, Noah and I began our parenting and childbirth classes. We had also worked all summer to clean out one room and prepare a nursery for Isaac.

On September 27th, we had a doctor's appointment. Isaac's heart beat was 140 beats per minute.

On October 10th, I had another doctor's appointment. My belly measured on schedule at 34-35 centimeters.

On October 23rd, we had our first baby shower thrown by our Randolph alumnae frinds.

On October 24th, we had another doctor's appointment. I had the strep B test which I passed. Isaac's heart rate was 142 beats per minute. I had our first examination and the baby was officially head down but there were no signs of labor.

On October 30th, we had a baby shower at First Baptist.

On October 31st, we had another doctor's appointment. The baby was still head down and very low. The doctor said he could be born and day and be healthy.

November 4th was my last day of teaching and I went on maternity leave. I had prepared everything as best as I could. My desk was lined with little neat stacks of lesson plans and books and resources all labeled with sticky notes for my maternity substitute.

On November 7th, I had a doctor's appointment. I was one centimeter dialated and very soft.

On November 14th, I had our last doctor's appointment at 39 weeks and 4 days. Isaac's heart rate was 144 beats per minute. His had was low and ready to go. I was almost four centimeters dilated and about 80% effaced. The doctor told us that if I did not go into labor by next Monday, to show up at the hospital at 5am on Monday November 21st.

On November 21st, I had not yet gone into labor, so Noah and I showed up at Huntsville Hospital at about 5:20am. We signed in, paid our co-pay at sat down in the waiting room. I was shortly called back and given the last labor and delivery room. I filled out all the paper work, got into a hospital gown, and Noah came back in.

Our labor was pretty short. At 8:30am after my first pitocin drip, the doctor broke my water. Then they increased the pitocin drip and the pain got hard. I then had the epidural and felt better. About an hour later, I was feeling bad again, and the nurse checked me. It was time.

David Isaac Hoppe-McQueen was born at 11:55am. He weight 8 pounds and 2 ounces. He was 20.5 inches long.

He was our miracle.

In December, my maternity substitute could not direct at our school concert, so the week after Isaac was born, we both returned to the classroom. Isaac was great. I directed my choir at the assembly and the Candlelight Concert.

In December 2011, together we lit the candle at the Christmas Eve service. We then celebrated our first Christmas at a family of three.
















No comments: