Saturday, February 1, 2014

February Update

On January 30th I returned to the doctor, I was 16 weeks and 3 days pregnant. I knew that many people find out the gender of their babies this early and even though 20 weeks in THE time for the big ultrasound at Clinic for Women, I thought we might find out the gender since we have an ultrasound every visit. We were planning a small celebration with family, complete with gender revealing cupcakes from Gigi's, so I went in to the appointment armed with an envelope. The ultrasound technician immediately said, oh I know the gender, do you want to know? I asked if she would write down, but she said they only will write it down at the 20 week ultrasound to ensure accuracy. Oh well. She didn't see/or say anything though about baby number 2. The babies were moving around great and they had heart rates of 154 and 157. They are growing well and looking healthy. My doctor said everything looked good, my belly is now measuring ahead of schedule. From here on out, I'll be growing bigger and faster than a singleton pregnancy. 

We also had our first brief conversation about delivery. He told me that while it's true twins typically come sooner than singletons, they usually don't come much sooner; an average of 36 weeks. He told me though, that he will not allow me to go past 38 weeks because research does not show any benefit to this. June 30th will be 38 weeks, so he said July 1st at the latest-I will be home for July 4th with the babies (at the latest). So that was good to know; I went ahead and deleted week 39 and 40 from my calendar. This will also give Noah a longer time home with me before heading back to school :). Also, I have the option of not getting a c-section!!! Providing both babies are head down, I can opt for a vaginal delivery. If either baby is not head down, I will have a c-section for the safety of the babies. He also warned me that if I opt for a vaginal delivery, there is a chance the first one could be born vaginally but the second one because of either stress or being turned at the last second could need to be born via c-section. He told me it was my choice, I could opt for a c-section to begin with or I could try for a vaginal delivery if I wanted and everything was looking good.

We have scheduled our big 20 week ultrasound for February 28th. We canceled this last little get together which was actually not such a bad thing since Emily and Rush have had a pretty stressful week and were glad to not get on the road Thursday. Now we will put a little more planning into the get together on February 28th. I have now turned down twice finding out the gender of these babies, and I'm excited to find out, but nervous. I do not have names picked out. We had Isaac's name picked out from before the end of the first trimester, but this time, it is just so much more complicated with the three different possible combinations. I can also say, I felt in my heart Isaac was a boy, but I am completely confused this time. The fact that the ultrasound technician said pretty immediately and definitively that she knew what one baby was, makes me think that that baby is a boy, but both heart rates are in the 'girl' range as far as the old wives' tale goes....sooooo..... I have absolutely no clue. Nothing wrong with that. Isaac's heart rate at 16 weeks was 148, in the 'boy' range, but at the last ultrasound both of these babies had almost identical heart rates to Isaac's at 12 weeks. I had been convinced that they were both boys..but I'm not so sure anymore.

Most of all, I am still praying for safety for these little ones. I am more nervous this time around than I was with Isaac. I am starting to feel a little fetal movement, which is both exhilarating  and nerve wracking. I think I am still a little early to feel consistent movement, so if I go too long without feeling anything, I get nervous. And even though it will be exciting to know the gender of these two babies and pick their names, most of all at that 20 week ultrasound, I pray they see healthy babies. I am still very much praying for health.

Still a lot to do around the house. Haven't even started yet. Oops!!! Carmen will be over Tomorrow, Meridian Symphony in two weeks, and a wedding on March 8th, and then the harp gigs are over until babies get here. First Christmas harp gig is already on the books though... Blessed for work!













No comments: