Busy Month! So the first weekend of February Carmen finished up. Our next appointment was set for February 28th at 20 weeks and 4 days.
During our snow week of February 11th-14th, we headed down to Meridian Mississippi for two days. Isaac stayed in Huntsville with grandparents.
The next Wednesday on February 19th, I had been feeling bad for a while and decided to call the doctor. While we were in Meridian, we made a brief stop into Wal-Mart and I got very dizzy and light headed. I ended up having to sit down on the floor for about a minute. Well off and on, I had been having contractions. Some tightening off and on and by Wednesday I was really worried. I called the doctor's office and the on call doctor set up an appointment in Labor and Delivery to have me monitored. I went to Labor and Delivery after my classes that day and they hooked me up. They monitored both babies' heart rates which were looking good and monitored the contractions. They also checked my cervix which was closed. Everything looked good and I was instructed to cease drinking Gatorade which I had been drinking since my stomach bug and drink water. Well since then, I've been drinking between 2-3 liters of water a day and have definitely noticed the difference.
The next Wednesday on February 26th, I became concerned that I was leaking too much fluid. I knew there was the possibility that it was not amniotic fluid but other icky pregnancy type things, so I looked up on the internet just for reassurance. Well of course, the internet will never offer reassurance, just panic in the highest degree. Sooooo....I called back to the doctor's office and the on call nurse told me to go back to Labor and Delivery. So I headed back. After I had completed all my paperwork at the hospital, my doctor's nurse called and told me to come to the doctor's office to get checked our there first. She said if everything looked okay, I could go home, but if it did not, they would send me back. So, I left Labor and Delivery before getting my bracelet and headed to the office.
At the office, the technicians who were super, super nice went ahead and did the big 20 week ultrasound since I was 20 weeks and 2 days. They got all the measurements for Baby A who looked great and was measuring right on schedule and weighed about 12 ounces. Baby A had a heart rate of 143. They got most of the measurements for Baby B, telling me they would finish up on my regularly scheduled appointment on Friday. Baby B was measuring ahead of schedule and had a heart rate of 157 and weighed about 14 ounces. Everything also was looking good with Baby B. They measured my amniotic fluid, and said it looked good.
I met with the doctor who also did some tests to see if I was leaking amniotic fluid, and all tests came back negative. He also told me, my cervix was above average even for a singleton pregnancy, which research has shown lessons my risk of preterm labor.
So everything is looking good. The babies were moving around a lot, at the hospital, the nurse had a hard time getting the heart monitors in just the right place, and they were moving around a lot at the ultrasound. Movement is good, active babies are good. I am feeling the movements more and more each day, though I don't feel every movement yet.
Everyone is being very, very nice and reassuring and not treating me like a mental patient. I promise, I did not act like this with Isaac. This is just so much more scary this time around. I don't want to overreact but I also worry about underreacting and something going wrong. My doctor said there is no way for me to tell if I am leaking amniotic fluid or not, so if something changes and I get worried to just come back in and they can check it out. My goal is to make it to my next appointment, which will actually be in three and half weeks because of spring break, without coming in for an extra appointment.
Because they got all the information they needed, I canceled my appointment for this Friday. The doctor said they could finish up some of Baby B's measurements the next time in four weeks. Soooo...... even though I had told the very nice ultrasound technicians I didn't want to know the sex yet because I could wait to Friday, I asked the nurse if she would ask them to write it down for me. The ultrasound technician brought out the envelope to me. So we plan to take the envelope to Party City and get two balloons placed in a box for Isaac to open at a family dinner on Friday.
So now I exercise my self control and not open the envelope. ;) It's good to get some reassurance that things are going well, it will be nice to be able to celebrate. I will continue to rest as much as possible and drink tons and tons of water. Four more weeks until viability!





No comments:
Post a Comment