My Ever Growing Resource
Below is a collection of articles and a quote from each article that I have read pertaining to church attendance. Some articles are about babies or children, youth, millennials, and adults. Some I have absolutely loved and some I have not, but I love to read, and to think, and be challenged.
Church, Here's Why People Are Leaving You Part 1
"We can be entertained anywhere. Until you can give us something more than a Christian-themed performance piece; something that allows us space and breath and conversation and relationship, many of us are going to sleep-in and stay away."
Why You Shouldn't Give Up on Church
"I was faced with the decision: stay in church and work through my mess or leave and be free.
Millennials Warn Churches Against Catering to their Generation
Three Common Traits of Youth Who Don't Leave the Church
"If I have not equipped the students in my ministry to share the gospel, disciple a younger believer, and lead a Bible study, then I have not fulfilled my calling to them, no matter how good my sermons have been. We pray for conversion; that is all we can do, for it is entirely a gracious gift of God. But after conversion, it is our Christ-given duty to help fan into flame a faith that serves, leads, teaches, and grows. If our students leave high school without Bible-reading habits, Bible-study skills, and strong examples of discipleship and prayer, we have lost them. We have entertained, not equipped them…and it may indeed be time to panic!"
Church, Here's Why People Are Leaving You Part 1
"We can be entertained anywhere. Until you can give us something more than a Christian-themed performance piece; something that allows us space and breath and conversation and relationship, many of us are going to sleep-in and stay away."
Why You Shouldn't Give Up on Church
"I was faced with the decision: stay in church and work through my mess or leave and be free.
I chose to stay.
While leaving was an option, it was one that I looked at and saw emptiness. Sure, the Church can cause a lot of pain and annoyance, but it’s where Jesus’ people are connected. And really, that’s what it is about—Jesus. That’s what made it so clear to me that staying was best."
While leaving was an option, it was one that I looked at and saw emptiness. Sure, the Church can cause a lot of pain and annoyance, but it’s where Jesus’ people are connected. And really, that’s what it is about—Jesus. That’s what made it so clear to me that staying was best."
Millennials Warn Churches Against Catering to their Generation
Three Common Traits of Youth Who Don't Leave the Church
"If I have not equipped the students in my ministry to share the gospel, disciple a younger believer, and lead a Bible study, then I have not fulfilled my calling to them, no matter how good my sermons have been. We pray for conversion; that is all we can do, for it is entirely a gracious gift of God. But after conversion, it is our Christ-given duty to help fan into flame a faith that serves, leads, teaches, and grows. If our students leave high school without Bible-reading habits, Bible-study skills, and strong examples of discipleship and prayer, we have lost them. We have entertained, not equipped them…and it may indeed be time to panic!"
"This was the first time our family had to confront the issue of Sunday sports, but, with three athletic children, it won't be the last. Pastors say children's sports have become the biggest challenge to church attendance for American families."
"Consider the statement made in Psalm 127:4 (NKJV): “Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, so are the children of one’s youth.” Just as arrows need to be aimed well in order to have a chance of hitting their target, our children need to be “aimed” well in order for them to have a chance of “hitting the target” of righteous and faithful living, and ultimately Heaven."
"We’ve traded a historic, objective, faithful gospel based on God’s
graciousness toward us for a modern, subjective, pragmatic gospel based
upon achieving our goal by following life strategies. Rather than being
faithful to the foolish simplicity of the gospel of the cross we’ve set
our goal on being “successful” in growing crowds with this gospel of
glory. This new gospel saves no one. Our kids can check all of these
boxes with any manner of self-help, life-coach, or simply self-designed
spiritualism… and they can do it more pragmatically successfully, and in
more relevant community. They leave because given the choice, with the
very message we’ve taught them, it’s the smarter choice."
"When I was a pastor, those most unsatisfied in our body, were those who
just showed up on Sunday’s (sometimes). There was little to no
participation in small groups, service projects or teaching and serving
within the church."
Why Millennials are Leaving the Church
"What millennials really want from the church is not a change in style but a change in substance.
We want an end to the culture wars. We want a truce between science and faith. We want to be known for what we stand for, not what we are against.
We want to ask questions that don’t have predetermined answers.
We want churches that emphasize an allegiance to the kingdom of God over an allegiance to a single political party or a single nation.
We want our LGBT friends to feel truly welcome in our faith communities.
We want to be challenged to live lives of holiness, not only when it comes to sex, but also when it comes to living simply, caring for the poor and oppressed, pursuing reconciliation, engaging in creation care and becoming peacemakers."
Do You Really Need Church?
"I need Church, because Church reminds me of everything that's important.
And when I say Church, I'm not talking about a building. I mean the people. I'm referring to the organic, collective, flesh and blood Body of Christ. I'm talking about the beautiful but undeniably imperfect community of people who help me remember who I am, and to Whom I belong, over and over again."
Why Church Matters
"To know fully why church is an important part of life takes more than the pastor saying so. It takes something like a kind word, a shared mission, a prayer offered on one’s behalf."
What's the Point of Church?
"What millennials really want from the church is not a change in style but a change in substance.
We want an end to the culture wars. We want a truce between science and faith. We want to be known for what we stand for, not what we are against.
We want to ask questions that don’t have predetermined answers.
We want churches that emphasize an allegiance to the kingdom of God over an allegiance to a single political party or a single nation.
We want our LGBT friends to feel truly welcome in our faith communities.
We want to be challenged to live lives of holiness, not only when it comes to sex, but also when it comes to living simply, caring for the poor and oppressed, pursuing reconciliation, engaging in creation care and becoming peacemakers."
Do You Really Need Church?
"I need Church, because Church reminds me of everything that's important.
And when I say Church, I'm not talking about a building. I mean the people. I'm referring to the organic, collective, flesh and blood Body of Christ. I'm talking about the beautiful but undeniably imperfect community of people who help me remember who I am, and to Whom I belong, over and over again."
Why Church Matters
"To know fully why church is an important part of life takes more than the pastor saying so. It takes something like a kind word, a shared mission, a prayer offered on one’s behalf."
What's the Point of Church?
"I sometimes expect the church to have a clear mission, a clear focus, and a clear reason for existing. I expect it to be ordered. I expect it to be within my control. I build up intricate systems of meaning in my own mind, speak of social fabrics and transformation and encountering the spirit. And the truth is, those things do happen- just now always when we expect. The holy Spirit doesn't belong to us, and to place boundaries on how and where God will work in the life of the church attempts to restrict that which will always defy our expectations."
"This membership is not a means to some other vision; it is itself the good work, the beautiful narrative enacted by the gracious amalgamation of misfit souls."
"Thus comes the criticism that she needs to be involved in a youth ministry. Technically, if she is a member of your congregation, she is a member of the youth ministry. Let’s be clear to distinguish between a ministry and a program. A youth program is comprised of the planned events and meetings within a youth ministry. A teenager can be a part of the ministry, without being in the program. This is a distinction that is rarely made. Youth ministers are judged on participation and that means priority goes to the active program participant"
5 Really Bad Reasons to Leave Your Church
"To leave a church because you’re not getting "enough" is a cop out. Your primary call in the church is to contribute, not just to consume. As a Christian, you shouldn’t require spoon-feeding for the rest of your life. Eventually you need to learn how to feed yourself so that, in time, you can actually feed others. Remember, your call is not just to be a disciple but to make disciples."
Better Conversations Between Churched and Unchurched Christians
"Clearly, we want to talk about why so many people, especially young adults, are leaving traditional churches. But when we do, we seem to miss one another. One group starts to tire of what they perceive to be “church-bashing,” while the other senses that their stories and concerns are not being heard. One group feels bombarded by cynicism; the other bombarded by shame and guilt."
Why Millennials Long for Liturgy
“If you ask me why kids are going high church, I’d say it’s because the single greatest threat to our generation and to young people nowadays is the deprivation of meaning in our lives,” Cone says. “In the liturgical space, everything becomes meaningful. In the offering up of the bread and wine, we see the offering up of the wheat and grain and fruits of the earth, and God gives them back in a sanctified form. … We’re so thirsty for meaning that goes deeper, that can speak to our entire lives, hearts, and wallets, that we’re really thirsty to be attached to the earth and to each other and to God. The liturgy is a historical way in which that happens.”
An Open Letter to Parents from Youth Ministers
"We as youth ministers and clergy are here to help you. To support you. To join with you as we push back against this culture of excess and strive to bring sanity back to our kids and our families lives. We want this, for us, for our communities and for you. We want families and students and parents to have sabbath, not so you can refuel but so you can rest. We want balance, not so you can add church on to your list of to do’s but so you can have time and bandwidth to live out your faith. We want this, not to make you feel guilty, but to help you reclaim your kids lives, their schedule and your calendar. Ultimately we want this because we love you, we see you suffering and we want to help."
Full Members at Age 1
"Our approach with little ones often amounts to a spiritual bait and switch. We segregate them into child-focused programs and expect they will appreciate Sunday worship when they reach a certain age. Sunday school is a valuable tool to reach young hearts, but we also need to integrate children into the life of our churches in substantive ways."
Ten Tips for Introducing Your Child to Worship
"It may take awhile for your child to become comfortable in worship, and to learn how to sit quietly. The best way for this to happen is to attend worship on a regular basis. There may be days when it doesn’t go well, but don’t let this stop you from coming the following week. Practice makes perfect!"
Don't Panic! 5 Ways Your Church Can Draw Young Adults
"The gut-level reaction of "OK, let's change!" is often more about providing something different in style, rather than a willingness to evaluate thoughtfully and intentionally our substance to spend time listening, wondering and opening ourselves to deep critique."
How to Kill a Church
"Above all, forget why you are a church in the first place. Obviously, this has nothing to do with God, love and people. It is about meetings, committees, money and reputation—a place to spend your time."
Dear Parents with Young Children in Church
"I know it’s hard, but thank you for what you do when you bring your children to church. Please know that your family - with all of its noise, struggle, commotion, and joy – are not simply tolerated, you are a vital part of the community gathered in worship."
My Kid Doesn't 'Get' Anything Out of Church
You see your kids are young in their faith. They don’t understand the desire for fellowship or the beauty of corporate worship or the need for continued learning and growth in their walk with Christ. They go to church because they follow you to church; they are your disciples and they are learning what being a Christian looks like by watching and emulating you
5 Really Bad Reasons to Leave Your Church
"To leave a church because you’re not getting "enough" is a cop out. Your primary call in the church is to contribute, not just to consume. As a Christian, you shouldn’t require spoon-feeding for the rest of your life. Eventually you need to learn how to feed yourself so that, in time, you can actually feed others. Remember, your call is not just to be a disciple but to make disciples."
Better Conversations Between Churched and Unchurched Christians
"Clearly, we want to talk about why so many people, especially young adults, are leaving traditional churches. But when we do, we seem to miss one another. One group starts to tire of what they perceive to be “church-bashing,” while the other senses that their stories and concerns are not being heard. One group feels bombarded by cynicism; the other bombarded by shame and guilt."
Why Millennials Long for Liturgy
“If you ask me why kids are going high church, I’d say it’s because the single greatest threat to our generation and to young people nowadays is the deprivation of meaning in our lives,” Cone says. “In the liturgical space, everything becomes meaningful. In the offering up of the bread and wine, we see the offering up of the wheat and grain and fruits of the earth, and God gives them back in a sanctified form. … We’re so thirsty for meaning that goes deeper, that can speak to our entire lives, hearts, and wallets, that we’re really thirsty to be attached to the earth and to each other and to God. The liturgy is a historical way in which that happens.”
An Open Letter to Parents from Youth Ministers
"We as youth ministers and clergy are here to help you. To support you. To join with you as we push back against this culture of excess and strive to bring sanity back to our kids and our families lives. We want this, for us, for our communities and for you. We want families and students and parents to have sabbath, not so you can refuel but so you can rest. We want balance, not so you can add church on to your list of to do’s but so you can have time and bandwidth to live out your faith. We want this, not to make you feel guilty, but to help you reclaim your kids lives, their schedule and your calendar. Ultimately we want this because we love you, we see you suffering and we want to help."
Full Members at Age 1
"Our approach with little ones often amounts to a spiritual bait and switch. We segregate them into child-focused programs and expect they will appreciate Sunday worship when they reach a certain age. Sunday school is a valuable tool to reach young hearts, but we also need to integrate children into the life of our churches in substantive ways."
Ten Tips for Introducing Your Child to Worship
"It may take awhile for your child to become comfortable in worship, and to learn how to sit quietly. The best way for this to happen is to attend worship on a regular basis. There may be days when it doesn’t go well, but don’t let this stop you from coming the following week. Practice makes perfect!"
Don't Panic! 5 Ways Your Church Can Draw Young Adults
"The gut-level reaction of "OK, let's change!" is often more about providing something different in style, rather than a willingness to evaluate thoughtfully and intentionally our substance to spend time listening, wondering and opening ourselves to deep critique."
How to Kill a Church
"Above all, forget why you are a church in the first place. Obviously, this has nothing to do with God, love and people. It is about meetings, committees, money and reputation—a place to spend your time."
Dear Parents with Young Children in Church
"I know it’s hard, but thank you for what you do when you bring your children to church. Please know that your family - with all of its noise, struggle, commotion, and joy – are not simply tolerated, you are a vital part of the community gathered in worship."
My Kid Doesn't 'Get' Anything Out of Church
You see your kids are young in their faith. They don’t understand the desire for fellowship or the beauty of corporate worship or the need for continued learning and growth in their walk with Christ. They go to church because they follow you to church; they are your disciples and they are learning what being a Christian looks like by watching and emulating you
Young Evangelicals Are Getting High
“He cannot have God as his Father who does not have the church for his Mother,” said Cyprian, nearly two millennia ago. Perhaps if Protestant churches began acting more like dutiful mothers instead of fun babysitters, there would be fewer youth leaving their ecclesiastical homes as soon as they are out of the house.
The Thing About Millennials and the Church That Nobody Wants to Talk About
So, regardless of what polls report, whether they say we’re growing or shrinking in affluence, the Church should always go about doing the work of the Church – loving our enemies, serving the least of these, and proclaiming the good news. There is too much brokenness and need in the world to sit around worrying about how many people are on our membership rolls or how old they are.
When We Criticize the Church
Please understand that we have only love for the Church, even if that love is sometimes clouded by hot tears of anger and hurt. Please know that we need the Church, all of us desperately need the church. We long for it to be the first glimpses of the Kingdom of God here on earth. We long for the day when we can finally be free of that false "Christianity," and run toward Jesus as He runs to meet us.
Why We Still Go to Church
I can only hope my children remember our neediness, and the warm welcome we receive when they are older. I cannot predict what my children will believe as they grow up. I know that sitting in the pews cannot guarantee their faithfulness or even their intellectual assent to the creeds of Christianity. But one thing I can predict is that my children will encounter hardship. Their hearts will be broken. Someone they love will die. They will suffer taunts and disappointments and illness. They will experience failure and rejection. My hope and prayer is that at those times, they will remember a place where they were always welcome, a place where the net of God’s faithfulness will catch them as they fall.
“He cannot have God as his Father who does not have the church for his Mother,” said Cyprian, nearly two millennia ago. Perhaps if Protestant churches began acting more like dutiful mothers instead of fun babysitters, there would be fewer youth leaving their ecclesiastical homes as soon as they are out of the house.
The Thing About Millennials and the Church That Nobody Wants to Talk About
So, regardless of what polls report, whether they say we’re growing or shrinking in affluence, the Church should always go about doing the work of the Church – loving our enemies, serving the least of these, and proclaiming the good news. There is too much brokenness and need in the world to sit around worrying about how many people are on our membership rolls or how old they are.
When We Criticize the Church
Please understand that we have only love for the Church, even if that love is sometimes clouded by hot tears of anger and hurt. Please know that we need the Church, all of us desperately need the church. We long for it to be the first glimpses of the Kingdom of God here on earth. We long for the day when we can finally be free of that false "Christianity," and run toward Jesus as He runs to meet us.
And until that day comes, we will not be silent.
Why We Still Go to Church
I can only hope my children remember our neediness, and the warm welcome we receive when they are older. I cannot predict what my children will believe as they grow up. I know that sitting in the pews cannot guarantee their faithfulness or even their intellectual assent to the creeds of Christianity. But one thing I can predict is that my children will encounter hardship. Their hearts will be broken. Someone they love will die. They will suffer taunts and disappointments and illness. They will experience failure and rejection. My hope and prayer is that at those times, they will remember a place where they were always welcome, a place where the net of God’s faithfulness will catch them as they fall.
A Growing Church is a Dying Church
What can she do to grow your church? Nothing. There’s nothing your pastor can do to make your church grow. She can’t save your church. Your church already has a Savior and it’s not her. She can push you. She can open doors. She can present you with opportunities. It’s up to you to take advantage of them. She can plant seeds and water them. It’s up to God to make them grow.
The Secret to Awesome Children's Ministry
This parent is teaching her children the faith by doing it with them. They sing together, pray together and elbow one another to pay attention during the “boring” parts of the service. And here’s the best part — the people sitting nearby scoot closer to listen to her explain the service to her children. They relish the reminders of deep theological truths articulated in language appropriate for children, “We pray this together because God loves us so much, and when we say we are sorry, God always forgives us for the things we have done wrong.”
Sunday Schooling Our Kids Out of Church
But what is our ultimate call? To create programs? Or to raise disciples (i.e., followers of Jesus committed to his church and his world)? And what might that that calling to raise “churched” disciples look like?
Do Children Like Coming to Your Church
To a child, here's what fun means: I was engaged; they kept my attention; they taught using my learning style; it was interactive; I got to talk; I got to move around; I got to play a game; it was age-appropriate for me; it honored my attention span.
The Invisible Generation
Friendship and community crosses generational lines. I can't imagine my life without the women who not only mentor me but also befriend me, as a fellow journeyer, despite the fact that we come from different generations. Men and women of all ages have much to learn from the passion and laughter, anger and goodness, stories and sermons, resources and energy, of the people outside of our own narrow age ranges as often laid out in our church programs.
Dinner With Friends is My Church. Is That OK?
What can she do to grow your church? Nothing. There’s nothing your pastor can do to make your church grow. She can’t save your church. Your church already has a Savior and it’s not her. She can push you. She can open doors. She can present you with opportunities. It’s up to you to take advantage of them. She can plant seeds and water them. It’s up to God to make them grow.
The Secret to Awesome Children's Ministry
This parent is teaching her children the faith by doing it with them. They sing together, pray together and elbow one another to pay attention during the “boring” parts of the service. And here’s the best part — the people sitting nearby scoot closer to listen to her explain the service to her children. They relish the reminders of deep theological truths articulated in language appropriate for children, “We pray this together because God loves us so much, and when we say we are sorry, God always forgives us for the things we have done wrong.”
Sunday Schooling Our Kids Out of Church
But what is our ultimate call? To create programs? Or to raise disciples (i.e., followers of Jesus committed to his church and his world)? And what might that that calling to raise “churched” disciples look like?
Do Children Like Coming to Your Church
To a child, here's what fun means: I was engaged; they kept my attention; they taught using my learning style; it was interactive; I got to talk; I got to move around; I got to play a game; it was age-appropriate for me; it honored my attention span.
The Invisible Generation
Friendship and community crosses generational lines. I can't imagine my life without the women who not only mentor me but also befriend me, as a fellow journeyer, despite the fact that we come from different generations. Men and women of all ages have much to learn from the passion and laughter, anger and goodness, stories and sermons, resources and energy, of the people outside of our own narrow age ranges as often laid out in our church programs.
Dinner With Friends is My Church. Is That OK?
It comes back to the reality that God's
plan is communities of people, serving Jesus and transforming the world.
You can't change the world alone. But in a group, you can do
significant things as there is real power as your gifts find full
expression in the collective.
We have to take care of His whole body, the entire church, the full
congregation and that includes our children. If we are to be what He
has called us to be, we cannot be it without the youngest generation,
for He says “to such belongs the kingdom of heaven.”
5 Reasons Why I Won't Give Up on the Church
The Church is Not Your Home
I
have no doubt that I could abandon the local church, and cherry pick
some friends to meet with regularly who would make spirituality and
theological discussions deep, challenging, and fun.
But when I’m honest with myself, most of my growth has come from interacting with people I wouldn’t choose. By handpicking my social circle instead of submitting to a local community of believers, I’ll generally choose people who fall within my comfort zone.
I’ve grown in my ability to love by getting close to people with dumb opinions, different lifestyles, disabilities, and all sorts of issues I had not been previously been exposed to.
I need a multi-generational, ethnically and financially diverse community of people to mentor me and broaden my perspectives. I need people close to me who I can disagree with and challenge in a healthy way—while still loving and wanting what’s best for them.
There’s no question that the church has significant problems, and I’ve often daydreamed about quitting her. But I truly believe we need each other.
- See more at: http://jaysondbradley.com/2015/04/16/5-reasons-i-wont-give-up-on-the-local-church/#sthash.HLYUwxMu.hB8YD61o.dpuf
But when I’m honest with myself, most of my growth has come from interacting with people I wouldn’t choose. By handpicking my social circle instead of submitting to a local community of believers, I’ll generally choose people who fall within my comfort zone.
I’ve grown in my ability to love by getting close to people with dumb opinions, different lifestyles, disabilities, and all sorts of issues I had not been previously been exposed to.
I need a multi-generational, ethnically and financially diverse community of people to mentor me and broaden my perspectives. I need people close to me who I can disagree with and challenge in a healthy way—while still loving and wanting what’s best for them.
There’s no question that the church has significant problems, and I’ve often daydreamed about quitting her. But I truly believe we need each other.
- See more at: http://jaysondbradley.com/2015/04/16/5-reasons-i-wont-give-up-on-the-local-church/#sthash.HLYUwxMu.hB8YD61o.dpuf
I
have no doubt that I could abandon the local church, and cherry pick
some friends to meet with regularly who would make spirituality and
theological discussions deep, challenging, and fun.
But when I’m honest with myself, most of my growth has come from interacting with people I wouldn’t choose. By handpicking my social circle instead of submitting to a local community of believers, I’ll generally choose people who fall within my comfort zone.
I’ve grown in my ability to love by getting close to people with dumb opinions, different lifestyles, disabilities, and all sorts of issues I had not been previously been exposed to.
I need a multi-generational, ethnically and financially diverse community of people to mentor me and broaden my perspectives. I need people close to me who I can disagree with and challenge in a healthy way—while still loving and wanting what’s best for them.
There’s no question that the church has significant problems, and I’ve often daydreamed about quitting her. But I truly believe we need each other.
- See more at: http://jaysondbradley.com/2015/04/16/5-reasons-i-wont-give-up-on-the-local-church/#sthash.HLYUwxMu.hB8YD61o.dpuf
But when I’m honest with myself, most of my growth has come from interacting with people I wouldn’t choose. By handpicking my social circle instead of submitting to a local community of believers, I’ll generally choose people who fall within my comfort zone.
I’ve grown in my ability to love by getting close to people with dumb opinions, different lifestyles, disabilities, and all sorts of issues I had not been previously been exposed to.
I need a multi-generational, ethnically and financially diverse community of people to mentor me and broaden my perspectives. I need people close to me who I can disagree with and challenge in a healthy way—while still loving and wanting what’s best for them.
There’s no question that the church has significant problems, and I’ve often daydreamed about quitting her. But I truly believe we need each other.
- See more at: http://jaysondbradley.com/2015/04/16/5-reasons-i-wont-give-up-on-the-local-church/#sthash.HLYUwxMu.hB8YD61o.dpuf
I
have no doubt that I could abandon the local church, and cherry pick
some friends to meet with regularly who would make spirituality and
theological discussions deep, challenging, and fun.
But when I’m honest with myself, most of my growth has come from interacting with people I wouldn’t choose. By handpicking my social circle instead of submitting to a local community of believers, I’ll generally choose people who fall within my comfort zone.
I’ve grown in my ability to love by getting close to people with dumb opinions, different lifestyles, disabilities, and all sorts of issues I had not been previously been exposed to.
I need a multi-generational, ethnically and financially diverse community of people to mentor me and broaden my perspectives. I need people close to me who I can disagree with and challenge in a healthy way—while still loving and wanting what’s best for them.
There’s no question that the church has significant problems, and I’ve often daydreamed about quitting her. But I truly believe we need each other.
- See more at: http://jaysondbradley.com/2015/04/16/5-reasons-i-wont-give-up-on-the-local-church/#sthash.HLYUwxMu.hB8YD61o.dpuf
But when I’m honest with myself, most of my growth has come from interacting with people I wouldn’t choose. By handpicking my social circle instead of submitting to a local community of believers, I’ll generally choose people who fall within my comfort zone.
I’ve grown in my ability to love by getting close to people with dumb opinions, different lifestyles, disabilities, and all sorts of issues I had not been previously been exposed to.
I need a multi-generational, ethnically and financially diverse community of people to mentor me and broaden my perspectives. I need people close to me who I can disagree with and challenge in a healthy way—while still loving and wanting what’s best for them.
There’s no question that the church has significant problems, and I’ve often daydreamed about quitting her. But I truly believe we need each other.
- See more at: http://jaysondbradley.com/2015/04/16/5-reasons-i-wont-give-up-on-the-local-church/#sthash.HLYUwxMu.hB8YD61o.dpuf
I
have no doubt that I could abandon the local church, and cherry pick
some friends to meet with regularly who would make spirituality and
theological discussions deep, challenging, and fun.
But when I’m honest with myself, most of my growth has come from interacting with people I wouldn’t choose. By handpicking my social circle instead of submitting to a local community of believers, I’ll generally choose people who fall within my comfort zone.
I’ve grown in my ability to love by getting close to people with dumb opinions, different lifestyles, disabilities, and all sorts of issues I had not been previously been exposed to.
I need a multi-generational, ethnically and financially diverse community of people to mentor me and broaden my perspectives. I need people close to me who I can disagree with and challenge in a healthy way—while still loving and wanting what’s best for them.
There’s no question that the church has significant problems, and I’ve often daydreamed about quitting her. But I truly believe we need each other.
- See more at: http://jaysondbradley.com/2015/04/16/5-reasons-i-wont-give-up-on-the-local-church/#sthash.HLYUwxMu.hB8YD61o.dpuf
But when I’m honest with myself, most of my growth has come from interacting with people I wouldn’t choose. By handpicking my social circle instead of submitting to a local community of believers, I’ll generally choose people who fall within my comfort zone.
I’ve grown in my ability to love by getting close to people with dumb opinions, different lifestyles, disabilities, and all sorts of issues I had not been previously been exposed to.
I need a multi-generational, ethnically and financially diverse community of people to mentor me and broaden my perspectives. I need people close to me who I can disagree with and challenge in a healthy way—while still loving and wanting what’s best for them.
There’s no question that the church has significant problems, and I’ve often daydreamed about quitting her. But I truly believe we need each other.
- See more at: http://jaysondbradley.com/2015/04/16/5-reasons-i-wont-give-up-on-the-local-church/#sthash.HLYUwxMu.hB8YD61o.dpuf
I
have no doubt that I could abandon the local church, and cherry pick
some friends to meet with regularly who would make spirituality and
theological discussions deep, challenging, and fun.
But when I’m honest with myself, most of my growth has come from interacting with people I wouldn’t choose. By handpicking my social circle instead of submitting to a local community of believers, I’ll generally choose people who fall within my comfort zone.
I’ve grown in my ability to love by getting close to people with dumb opinions, different lifestyles, disabilities, and all sorts of issues I had not been previously been exposed to.
I need a multi-generational, ethnically and financially diverse community of people to mentor me and broaden my perspectives. I need people close to me who I can disagree with and challenge in a healthy way—while still loving and wanting what’s best for them.
There’s no question that the church has significant problems, and I’ve often daydreamed about quitting her. But I truly believe we need each other.
- See more at: http://jaysondbradley.com/2015/04/16/5-reasons-i-wont-give-up-on-the-local-church/#sthash.HLYUwxMu.hB8YD61o.dpuf
But when I’m honest with myself, most of my growth has come from interacting with people I wouldn’t choose. By handpicking my social circle instead of submitting to a local community of believers, I’ll generally choose people who fall within my comfort zone.
I’ve grown in my ability to love by getting close to people with dumb opinions, different lifestyles, disabilities, and all sorts of issues I had not been previously been exposed to.
I need a multi-generational, ethnically and financially diverse community of people to mentor me and broaden my perspectives. I need people close to me who I can disagree with and challenge in a healthy way—while still loving and wanting what’s best for them.
There’s no question that the church has significant problems, and I’ve often daydreamed about quitting her. But I truly believe we need each other.
- See more at: http://jaysondbradley.com/2015/04/16/5-reasons-i-wont-give-up-on-the-local-church/#sthash.HLYUwxMu.hB8YD61o.dpuf
I
have no doubt that I could abandon the local church, and cherry pick
some friends to meet with regularly who would make spirituality and
theological discussions deep, challenging, and fun.
But when I’m honest with myself, most of my growth has come from interacting with people I wouldn’t choose. By handpicking my social circle instead of submitting to a local community of believers, I’ll generally choose people who fall within my comfort zone.
I’ve grown in my ability to love by getting close to people with dumb opinions, different lifestyles, disabilities, and all sorts of issues I had not been previously been exposed to.
I need a multi-generational, ethnically and financially diverse community of people to mentor me and broaden my perspectives. I need people close to me who I can disagree with and challenge in a healthy way—while still loving and wanting what’s best for them.
There’s no question that the church has significant problems, and I’ve often daydreamed about quitting her. But I truly believe we need each other.
- See more at: http://jaysondbradley.com/2015/04/16/5-reasons-i-wont-give-up-on-the-local-church/#sthash.HLYUwxMu.hB8YD61o.dpuf
But when I’m honest with myself, most of my growth has come from interacting with people I wouldn’t choose. By handpicking my social circle instead of submitting to a local community of believers, I’ll generally choose people who fall within my comfort zone.
I’ve grown in my ability to love by getting close to people with dumb opinions, different lifestyles, disabilities, and all sorts of issues I had not been previously been exposed to.
I need a multi-generational, ethnically and financially diverse community of people to mentor me and broaden my perspectives. I need people close to me who I can disagree with and challenge in a healthy way—while still loving and wanting what’s best for them.
There’s no question that the church has significant problems, and I’ve often daydreamed about quitting her. But I truly believe we need each other.
- See more at: http://jaysondbradley.com/2015/04/16/5-reasons-i-wont-give-up-on-the-local-church/#sthash.HLYUwxMu.hB8YD61o.dpuf
The Church is Not Your Home
I
need a multi-generational, ethnically and financially diverse community
of people to mentor me and broaden my perspectives. I need people close
to me who I can disagree with and challenge in a healthy way—while
still loving and wanting what’s best for them. - See more at:
http://jaysondbradley.com/2015/04/16/5-reasons-i-wont-give-up-on-the-local-church/#sthash.HLYUwxMu.hHvg8i0T.dpuf
I
need a multi-generational, ethnically and financially diverse community
of people to mentor me and broaden my perspectives. I need people close
to me who I can disagree with and challenge in a healthy way—while
still loving and wanting what’s best for them. - See more at:
http://jaysondbradley.com/2015/04/16/5-reasons-i-wont-give-up-on-the-local-church/#sthash.HLYUwxMu.hHvg8i0T.dpuf
I
need a multi-generational, ethnically and financially diverse community
of people to mentor me and broaden my perspectives. I need people close
to me who I can disagree with and challenge in a healthy way—while
still loving and wanting what’s best for them. - See more at:
http://jaysondbradley.com/2015/04/16/5-reasons-i-wont-give-up-on-the-local-church/#sthash.HLYUwxMu.hHvg8i0T.dpuf
No comments:
Post a Comment