Monday, December 29, 2014

My Roaring 20s

20

When I turned 20 years old, I was a sophomore at Samford University in Birmingham, Alabama. I was a music education major and lived in Beason Woods in Luther Hall. I worked at the Samford University Phon-A-Thon as a caller, was an assistant in a second grade children's choir at Dawson Memorial Baptist Church, and also played the harp in the Dawson orchestra. I did not do Jan-Term and I stayed in Huntsville and worked as a substitute at First Baptist's Day Care. I went down to Samford during January and changed my major from Music Education to Harp Performance. During the spring semester I lost twenty pounds and went from 138 to 118. I won second place in both the Alabama Federation of Music Study Clubs Biennial Student Awards and the Birmingham Music Guild Scholarship Awards. That summer I left my job as a substitute at the First Baptist Day Care and worked at the Cold Stone Creamery. In the Fall, I returned as a junior at Samford University to the same dorm of Luther in Beason Woods and roomed with my friend Lauren. I had continued to lose weight over the summer, and that fall I weighed my smallest ever, 111 pounds. On October 22, 2005, Noah and I got engaged after we spent two days ring shopping. We had been dating for five and a half years.

Preparing Christmas Eve Dinner


Music Study Club Luncheon


Playing with the Shoals Symphony at the UNA Campus


At First Baptist for Emily's Senior Recital



Memorial Day in Nashville



After a Shift at Cold Stone


Vulcan in Birmingham



Engagement Ring


Engaged!



Pumpkin Carving


Pumpkins



21 

When I turned 21, I was a junior at Samford University in Birmingham, AL majoring in harp performance. I was still working at the Samford Phon-A-Thon and playing the harp at Dawson Memorial Baptist and I was directing a second grade choir at Dawson. On my 21st birthday, my friends Lana and Ashton from Auburn were driving home for Thanksgiving break so I met up with them and my Samford friends Lauren, Emily, and Susannah at Chili's for dinner.  That January I returned to working at the First Baptist Day Care and then continued to substitute there that summer. I did a lot of wedding preparation and planning and booking that summer for our wedding which was scheduled for the next year's June. I directed the First Baptist Kindercamp for the first time that summer and also went to Seattle, Washington for a wedding. That Fall I returned to Samford University as a senior and lived in the same Luther dorm in Beason Woods.



Thanksgiving



 Christmas Time in Huntsville



Luther Suite at Delta Omicron Tea


Big Sister/Little Sister Night



We're Both Engaged



 My First Year Directing Kindercamp at First Baptist



Seattle



 At a Wedding in Seattle, Washtington


Dorm Room!


 Singing the National Anthem at the Braves' Game



Auburn



 In Chicago at the Lyon and Healy Factory Picking Out a New Harp


 Emily's Debutante Ball


22
When I turned 22, I was a senior at Samford University studying harp performance. In December, I was a finalist in the Samford Concerto Aria competition. I continued to play the harp with the orchestra at Dawson Memorial Baptist Church, I directed a second grade choir at Dawson, and I also worked at the Samford University Phon-A-Thon. I played a solo with the Samford University Orchestra in March, my senior recital was in April, and I performed on the Honors Recital in May. I received the senior honor pin for Delta Omicron and was inducted into Pi Kappa Lambda the music honor society. I graduated from Samford, Summa Cum Laude in May. Noah and I were married on June 23, 2007. Noah and I moved into our first apartment that August.  I began working as a music intern at Mountain Brook Baptist Church, and I worked as a substitute in their day care. Noah and I became members at Mountain Brook Baptist Church and sang in the church choir. I also was a graduate assistant at Samford University and a graduate student at Samford studying music education. I also taught harp lessons both at Samford and the Dawson Music Academy.


22nd Birthday


Lana and Jeremy's Gift Card Party


Christmas Time at Samford


Lana and Jeremy's Wedding


Our Official Engagement Photo


Concerto Aria Concert


First Wedding Shower


Senior Recital


Phon-A-Thon Seniors


Delta Omicron Award Winners


Honors Recital Performers 


 2007 Delta Omicron Brides


 Around the Clock Shower


 Graduation


 Graduation


 Graduation


Summer Brunch Shower



 Wedding


Wedding

Wedding


Reception



Honeymoon in Mexico



First Dinner in Our Apartment



 Halloween Party


Pumpkin
 


23
When I turned 23, I was living in an apartment in Birmingham, AL. I was a graduate student at Samford University studying Choral Music Education. I worked at Mountain Brook Baptist Church as a music intern and a substitute in their day care. I directed a preschool choir and sang in the church choir. I also worked as a graduate assistant at Samford University. I taught harp lessons both at Samford and the Dawson Music Academy. In February, we bought our Welsh Corgi, Ein.  In April, Noah was hired as a full time teacher for the next year, and I went to the doctor and we began trying to grow our family. That summer I took graduate classes at Samford and also traveled back to Huntsville to work at Music Camp. I also left Mountain Brook Baptist and became the children's music intern at Baptist Church of the Covenant. Noah and I became members at Baptist Church of the Covenant and sang in the church choir. That fall, I continued as a graduate student at Samford University.

 Our First Christmas Tree



 Christmas Plum Cake

New Year's Eve


 Ein's First Day Home


 Ein Goes to Samford

Our Family

Wedding


First Anniversary


 Wedding Cake


 Lauren's Wedding


 Lana's Baby Shower



 The Walking Trail By Our Apartment


 Celebrating Fall


 Hay Maze at Tate Farms


 Our Pumpkins


24
When I turned 24, I was living in our apartment in Mountain Brook at Park Lane. I was a second year graduate student at Samford University and worked as a children's music intern at Baptist Church of the Covenant. Noah and I were members at Baptist Church of the Covenant and we sang in the church choir. That fall I student taught at the Alabama School of Fine Arts and Bluff Park Elementary School. In January I went to the doctor for my first fertility tests. Noah and I went to see the Killers in Concert in Nashville. In March we went to Seattle to visit Noah's brother and sister. We continued to travel around the southeast for harp gigs.  In May I presented my graduate harp recital and I graduated from Samford with a Masters of Music in Music Education That summer I had to return to Samford after graduating because of a mistake in our course catalog that prevented us from receiving teaching certificates from the state. That summer, I complete three more courses. I also complete my two week Orff Level 1 certification and my Chorister's Guild Level 1 certification. That summer, Noah left his job at Highland's and we moved back to Huntsville. That fall I worked as a substitute in Madison County and Huntsville City. I joined the Community Chorus and began directing a first grade choir at First Baptist. I returned to the First Baptist Orchestra and the Sanctuary choir. I also went to the Young Adult Forum Bible Studies on Tuesday evenings at First Baptist. We became members at First Baptist and joined the Lifepoint Sunday School class for young marrieds.

 24th Birthday


 Thanksgiving


 My Last Samford Hanging of the Green


 Noah's Graduate Graduation


 Last Night Out with Samford Friends


 First Starbuck in Seattle


 Graduate Recital


 Graduate School Graduation


 Orff Certification



 Playing the Harp


 St. Louis Trip


 Kate's Wedding


25
When I turned 25, I was living in Huntsville and I was working as a substitute in Madison County and Huntsville City and at Randolph. I helped with the Community Chorus's children's choir. I sang in the Huntsville Community Chorus and First Baptist Sanctuary Choir. I directed a first grade choir at First Baptist and played the harp with the First Baptist Orchestra. I was also a member of the Forum Bible study on Tuesday nights. I continued to play harp gigs around Alabama. That December I began my position as a full time long term substitute as a choir teacher at Sparkman High School. I lead the students to learn the Faure Requiem, perform a concert in March and May, and they received straight superior ratings at both district and state choral assessments. In March, I interviewed for my first teaching position as a choir and drama teacher at Westminster but did not get the job. In April, I was hired as a full time salaried teacher at Westminster as an elementary music teacher. In August, we moved into our first house together. That fall I began teaching at Westminster library, computer, and music. I also started fertility tests and medicine in August.

 Before the Randolph Alumni Party

The Plum Cake on Christmas Eve

Emily's Wedding

Cake Decorating Class we took Over the Summer

Cousins in St. Louis

Teaching Kindercamp

Unpacking at Our New House

Getting the House Set Up

Exploring the Nachez Trace On the Way to a Harp Gig

Fall at the New House

New Wreath


26
  When I turned 26, Noah and I were living at our new house in Huntsville. I was working as a music/library/computer teacher at Westminster Christian Academy. I played the harp with the First Baptist Orchestra and continued to travel around the Southeast for harp gigs. I sang in the Huntsville Community Chorus and First Baptist Sanctuary Choir. I directed the Kinderchoir at First Baptist and helped with the children's chorale of the Huntsville Community Chorus. I was also taking clomid and going in for monthly tests to try and have a baby. That Christmas everyone came to our house to celebrate. In January, the biggest snow Huntsville has had happened and we had a whole week off from school. In March, we found out we were going to be parents. After several tests, everything looked good and we were ready to celebrate. I interviewed for a new part-time choir position at Randolph that spring and left my job at Westminster. Over the summer, we worked at several camps in Huntsville and Birmingham to pay for our rent and insurance. I started my new job at Randolph in August. In July, we found out we were having a baby boy!

First Time the House was Completely Set Up and We had Company for Dinner

Thanksgiving Day

The Plum Cake on Christmas Eve

Christmas at Our House

Snowfall

5 Weeks Pregnant

 In Sewanee for the Sewanee Symphony

 13 Weeks! Second Trimester

 Getting Isaac's Room Set Up

 27 Weeks! Third Trimester

Halloween Costume

First Baptist Baby Shower

 November 17! Isaac's Due Date


27
When I turned 27, we were living in our house in Huntsville. I directed the Kinderchoir at First Baptist and sang in the Sanctuary choir and played the harp with the First Baptist Orchestra. I also helped with the Huntsville Community Chorus's children's Chorale. I worked as a part-time middle school choir director at Randolph. On my 27th birthday, we went to the hospital and David Isaac Hoppe-McQueen was born. Two days later we brought him home to our house. I directed my first concert at Randolph that December. We lit the Advent Candle at the Christmas Eve service at First Baptist that Christmas. I went back to work at Randolph in January when school started back up. I continued directing choir at First Baptist, Randolph, and in the Community Chorus. I played the harp in the First Baptist Orchestra and sang in the sanctuary choir. We had a good summer break and went back to school in August.  

Isaac is here!

 We're Home!

Going to church for the First Time!

Isaac's First Living Christmas Tree

Holding my Sweet Baby

 Growing Baby Boy!

First Easter!

 Isaac's First Beach Trip!

 Isaac's First Wedding!

My First Mother's Day! Isaac Made Me a Gift!

Family Portraits after Baby Dedication!

Baby Music Class at Randolph!

At Our House!

Getting the Choir Room Ready for School to Start Back Up!

Green Mountain!

Ready for Fall!

Going to Isaac's One Day a Week Day Care

 Beach Trip!

Fall!


28
When I turned 28, we lived in our house in Huntsville. I directed the Music Maker's choir at First Baptist and helped with the Huntsville Community Chorus's Children's Chorale. I played the harp with the First Baptist Orchestra and sang in the Sanctuary Choir. I worked as a part-time middle school choir director at Randolph. We celebrated Isaac's First Birthday on November 21st at our house.  Noah and I still traveled for harp gigs around the state. In March we found out we were pregnant again, but two weeks later we miscarried. We had a busy spring and a good summer break. I returned to Randolph in the fall for my third year as a choir teacher. I returned to taking clomid in August. In November we found out we were pregnant again. All initial tests looked good. At our first ultrasound we found out we were expecting twins! 
 Isaac's First Birthday

 Baking Christmas Cookies!

After the Hanging of the Green Service

Baby Snuggles!

The Little Gym

4 Weeks Pregnant!

Isaac's First Harp Gig! Meridian, Mississippi

Easter Egg Hunt and Crafts

Easter

 Montgomery Symphony!

Mother's Day!

Summer at Home!

 First Baptist!

 Birmingham Trip!

 Football Game!

 Fall Festival!

 Halloween!

Ready for Fall!


29
When I turned 29 I was working as a part-time Middle School Choir teacher at Randolph. I directed the Kinderchoir at First Baptist and helped with the Community Chorus's children's chorale. I played the Harp with the First Baptist Orchestra and sang in the Sanctuary Choir. I continued to travel for harp gigs. On my 29th birthday, I took cupcakes to Isaac's school for his second birthday.  I also had an ultrasound that day and found out both our babies had heart beats. We were excited to expect twins. I had a really rough first trimester because I felt so sick but we stayed busy and on the road with harp gigs. After my first trimester, I decided I would not return to Randolph next year, so I told my supervisor. We continued to work, play harp gigs, and prepare for the babies. On July 8, 2014, the twins were born at 39weeks1day. In August I did not return to school, but stayed home as a stay at home mom. I went back to playing in the First Baptist orchestra after a semester off and continued to teach choir at First Baptist and assistant at the community chorus. 

Big Brother!

15 Weeks!

Easter!

28 Weeks! 3rd Trimester!

Last Choir Concert at Randolph!

Sunday School Baby Shower!

38 Weeks!

Holding Carleton and Corder for the First Time!


Our First Family Picture!

First Time in Church!

 Taking Isaac to Preschool! Stay At Home Mom Adventures!


 After Church!


 My Boys!


 Randolph Football Game!


 Baby Dedication!


 Tate Farms!


Halloween!












No comments: